Tuesday 11 November 2008

Christ on a bike

Ah Tannadice, an often visited venue from myself with some quite horrendous results (and Saturday was no exception let me tell you).

The day started pleasantly enough mind you. I wake up at 10am, with no trace of a hangover (unfortunately the rest of the weekend would more than make up for this). I go and collect the hardy troops, one of which was very hungover (yes, you Mark) and one of whom was not long in from a night shift.

On seeing their faces I felt good about myself and off we went. Ryan managed to consume 4 rowies by the time we'd passed Stonehaven (healthy as you like). We even passed the Brian Grant memorial site, McDonalds beside Forfar, which prompted me to foolishly announce that surely the Dons would win today.

Now, for those of you that don't know, i've been to Tannadice probably around 20 times and never seen a win. It all started to go wrong just as we got into Dundee. We get to the top of the hill, are about to turn into Forfar road and my car decides to cut out. Fun times ahoy..... I should have taken this as a sign and headed straight home. Miraculously, it starts up and we manage to abandon it and head to the pub.

The Centenary bar, on Clepto road. Mobbed. Lots of drunk people. Roasting. Some cheeky songs. Lots of Dean Windass chanting. And people so hammered at 1pm I don't know how they even made the game.

A few pints later (cokes in my case) we head down and join the already monster queue to get into the shed. Confidence is high (as the sherminator from American Pie would say). We even manage to get a pie inside, which thankfully have improved since last season.

The football sadly hasn't, however. 2-0 down within 10 minutes. A complete shambles at the back, yet again. Why Severin is playing in defence is beyond me. If the 3rd goal had gone in it was hometime. Somehow we struggle on to half time only 2-0 down.

To be fair, we came more into the game towards the end of the half and totally dominated the second half. Lee Miller and Sone Aluko both played particularly well. How we only managed to score 1 goal through Mackie is beyond me. The usual dubious disallowed goal and it's back off up the road with tails between legs. Again. Yet again. I think i'm going to retire from Tannadice.

Also having to listen to Celtic fans phoning in about their minute's applause for 2 hours on Scotsport made things even more unbearable. The swines. And Jim Traynor. An even bigger swine.

Dundee United 2 - 1 Aberdeen

High(low) lights here for those hardy souls interested.

St Mirren tonight. If we play like we did in the second half against United, we should murder them. But it's the Dons we are talking about. I just don't know what to expect. Until tomorrow.........

0 comments: