Wednesday 21 September 2011

The end is nigh!

I don't really know what to say. Words fail me yet again where Aberdeen Football Club are concerned. The club are so far removed from reality and so out of touch with the fans it is painful to watch. Less than FOUR THOUSAND fans turned up to watch yet another cup debacle last night which is sadly going to be the norm in the future.

I remember going along to watch cup games against lower league sides when I was a lad (a tiny wee lad) and you'd still have crowds of over 10k there, people cared about the club and enjoyed going along on a matchday. I certainly did. These days it's a slog, a hard, relentless, unforgiving slog. No creativity, no excitement, too expensive, no end product. What's the point? I think its very apparent I'm not the only one asking myself these questions. Every week 500 fans are departing and people find better things to do with their time, which is understandable. Highland League football is more entertaining.

The buck sadly stops with the manager, and lets be honest, he's made a royal arse of this season, not to mention last. We've only won something horrible like 2 games out of 16 which is simply unacceptable. He has also failed to address the problems which have plagued the team for several seasons now. We still have no full backs, scary. We have a defence slower than me on a football pitch (i.e. pedestrian). We have an array of terrible strikers who can't score for toffee. We have no wingers and about 8 central midfield players. The question I find myself asking is why? Is it really that difficult to identify and sign appropriate players?

Another worrying statistic is the fact we've signed 3 players from Plymouth, a team who have been relegated twice in previous seasons. Nothing like bringing a winning mentality into the team, way to go Aberdeen. These players are used to the failure I guess, so it will be going through the motions for them. Added to that a striker who has never scored a goal and one who used to be a goalkeeper. Magnificent.

Change is needed, and most certainly above and beyond the manager. How many times has it been said now. It all falls on deaf ears however, so what's the point?

One thing is certain, we are spiralling towards relegation and Division One and I see no way back for this club when that happens. It's not a matter of if anymore.

Well done East Fife though, at least one team showed some proper fight and grit. These players will all be at their day jobs today, unlike the fat cats at Pittodrie who will saunter in for an hour of training and pick up their inflated wages. Well done Dons players, I salute you. Absolute legends.

RIP AFC.

0 comments: